BENNINGTON TOWNSHIP SEEKS ADDITIONAL 5 MILL LEVY
FOR FIRE & EMS ON THE NOVEMBER 3, 2020 BALLOT
What is the cost of this additional levy?
The cost to residents is $175 per $100,000 of the property market value ($14.59/ month)
What is the purpose of this levy?
The current levy receipts that Bennington and Hartford Townships receive are not adequate to sustain the Hartford Fire Department Fire & EMS services, which has traditionally been a mostly volunteer force. Today, Fire & EMS services to Bennington Township residents are now being provided by part-time firefighters. The additional Levy will provide essential Fire & EMS services to Bennington Township 24 hours per day/ 7 days per week/ 365 days per year. There are currently not enough funds to have continuous Fire & EMS service or maintain/ replace critical equipment.
What will this levy provide?
- Service levels will be increased to include 3 part-time Firefighter/ EMT/Paramedic’s 24 hours per day/ 7 days per week/ 365 days per year.
- Critical EMS runs requiring a Paramedic will be faster because they will be on duty.
- Hourly rates will be increased to assist in retaining and attracting experienced Firefighter/ EMT/ Paramedic staff.
- Necessary Fire & EMS apparatus & equipment will be maintained and/or replaced.
- Aging personal protective gear will be maintained or replaced pursuant to industry standards.
What happens if the levy fails?
- There will not be adequate funds for the Hartford Volunteer Fire Department to operate and they will be in jeopardy of closing.
- Fire & EMS Service will need to be contracted by other jurisdictions or to join a fire district. Surrounding fire districts operate on approximately 11 mills which is a much higher cost to residents ($385 per $100,000 of the property market value).
- There will be prolonged response times as a result of reliance on surrounding jurisdictions for Fire & EMS runs.