Hartford Fire Department History
The Hartford Fire Department was organized as the Hartford Township Fire Department in 1949, operating a single pumper out of a one-bay fire station on Bennington Chapel Road. The Fire Department moved into the present station on Smith Street in 1958 and added an additional storage room and apparatus bay in 1989. In 1965, the Hartford Township Trustees relinquished operational control of the fire department to the Hartford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc., which is the present organization. Hartford Fire began providing services to Bennington Township soon after it’s the origin.
The Hartford Fair, “The Biggest Little Fair in the World,” is located in Hartford Township just north of Hartford Village (Croton). The Fair is held at the beginning of August every year and has drawn crowds exceeding 60,000 people in a single day from throughout Ohio.