Bennington Township was settled in1809 and organized in 1815 and had 2 villages Appleton and Lock. The Township had 9 one-room schoolhouses in the 1800's and 1 high school that closed in 1938, in The Village of Appleton.
An 8th-grade school was built at the edge of Appleton teaching children from Bennington and Liberty Townships, transferring to Johnstown-Monroe for their remaining high school.
In 1960 Northridge High School was built consisting of students attending Alexandria, Hartford and Homer High Schools. These schools then became 8th-grade schools and transferred the students to Northridge High School.
The township remains to be an agriculture township with beans, corn, and hay the main crops. Also, chickens, beef & dairy cows, horses, pigs and sheep being raised. 4-H remains strong for the children taking their different projects to the Hartford Fair in Croton, Ohio.